Walmart Labs is seeking outstanding technologists for our Walmart Labs Retail Data Science team. The mission of the Retail Data Science team:
“WE ENGINEER SYSTEMS OF INTELLIGENCE AND ACTION TO AUTOMATE RETAIL DECISIONS AT SCALE”
The team creates value for Walmart customers through researching and building complex, cutting edge, and scalable algos, models, platforms, and technologies. Our team of high caliber engineers, scientists, mathematicians, operations research analysts and statisticians develop rigorous quantitative methods to build efficient and effective algorithms that optimize decisions. We employ the wealth of Walmart data to build this portfolio of AI/ML/OR models in a rapid test, learn, modify cycle. Our product teams include our business partners – directly. We see the outcomes of our work to enhance decisions every day.
We are seeking experts adept at partnering with the business, growing talented teams, and building capability development in tech. The ideal leader will combine expertise in AI/ML/OR/Open Source/Tech knowledge, hands-on experience in algorithm planning, engineering, strategic capability development in AI/ML/OR, and imparting keen understanding of revenue models and value creation.
The successful candidate will join a dynamic group of scientists developing breakthrough capabilities in retail, creating new scientific approaches, and innovating solutions using state-of-the-art technology – at Walmart scale.
- Consults with business stakeholders regarding data insights and recommendations
- Drives analytics insights across the division
- Drives the execution of multiple business plans and projects
- Ensures business needs are being met
- Leads medium- to large-sized prescriptive analytics (optimization) project teams
- Manages the continuous improvement of operations research, data science and analytics
- Promotes and supports company policies, procedures, mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity
- Provides supervision and development opportunities for associates
- Bachelor of Science and 6 years' data science experience OR Master of Science and 4 years' data science experience OR PhD.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Ph.D. degree in Operations Research, Mathematics, or Computer Science, and five year experience in a related field.
- Proven track record of creation, development, and implementation of large scale optimization models.
- Proven track record implementing large scale optimization models in Java or C++.
- One year project management experience
- Exposure to Maven, Jira, and GIT/other version control tools.
- Experience to Unit, Regression, and Integration testing.
- Experience in machine learning, statistics, Hadoop, and Database/SQL
- Experience in retail business and supply chain.
What started small, with a single discount store and the simple idea of selling more for less, has grown over the last 50 years into the largest retailer in the world. Each week, over 260 million customers and members visit our 11,695 stores under 59 banners in 28 countries and e-commerce websites in 11 countries. With fiscal year 2017 revenue of $485.9 billion, Walmart employs approximately 2.3 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. It's all part of our unwavering commitment to creating opportunities and bringing value to customers and communities around the world.