- A Data Scientist is responsible for analyzing large data sets to develop custom models and algorithms to drive business solutions. Data Scientists work on project teams in order to provide analytical support to projects (for example, email targeting, business optimization, consumer recommendations) for Walmart eCommerce. Data Scientists are responsible for building large data sets from multiple sources in order to build algorithms for predicting future data characteristics. Those algorithms will be tested, validated, and applied to large data sets. Data Scientists are responsible for training the algorithms so they can be applied to future data sets and provide the appropriate search results. Data Scientists are responsible for researching new trends in the industry and utilizing up-to-date technology (for example, HBase, MapReduce, LAPack, Gurobi) and analytical skills to support their assigned project.
- Build complex data sets from multiple data sources, both internally and externally.
- Build learning systems to analyze and filter continuous data flows and offline data analysis.
- Combine data features to determine search models.
- Conduct advanced statistical analysis to determine trends and significant data relationships.
- Demonstrates up-to-date expertise and applies this to the development, execution, and improvement of action plans
- Develop custom data models to drive innovative business solutions.
- Develop models of current state in order to determine needed improvements
- Models compliance with company policies and procedures and supports company mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity
- Provides and supports the implementation of business solutions
- Research new techniques and best practices within the industry.
- Scale new algorithms to large data sets.
- Train algorithms to apply models to new data sets.
- Utilize system tools including (MySQL, Hadoop, Weka, R, Matlab,ILog).
- Validate models and algorithmic techniques.
- Work with cross-functional partners across the business.
- Bachelor of Science and 5 years' data science experience OR Master of Science and 2 years' data science experience.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
Local Theory is a portfolio company under Walmart’s startup incubator Store No. 8. At Local Theory, we are obsessed with finding data science solutions to challenging problems in Merchandising.We believe that the relevance of the products we sell in our stores is the life blood of Walmart. Although Walmart is the largest retailer in the world, we want each individual store to be tailored to the community and optimized for the associates serving that community. At Local Theory, we are passionate about ideas; our default is to move fast and iterate to develop them. We are building a team of optimistic and talented associates in an environment which has the dynamism of a startup but the resources and data of the world’s largest corporation.