The Walmart Customer Technology Data Science team is looking for a Director of Data Science. This role will lead a high caliber group of data scientists in providing data science solutions to Walmart’s Healthcare, Point of Sales (POS) as well as their Digital Retail Services (DRS) areas. Our healthcare portfolio supports all aspects of pharmacy, optical center and future Main & Central operations, ranging from assortment ulary optimization, supplier selection, channel decision, inventory management, pricing, cost to fill, contract management, to workflow optimization, workforce management, safety, quality, compliance, and many more. Our opportunities in POS and DRS are nothing but significant and are growing fast as Walmart’s digital transformation progresses deeper and deeper.
- This position requires a good mix of hands-on hard-core data science and leadership skills.
- Required data science skills include full capabilities in descriptive, diagnostic, predictive and prescriptive analytics ecosystem. The candidate must be an expert in statistical analysis, a wide variety of machine learning algorithms, optimization, queuing theory, stochastic process, simulation, etc., and all cutting-edge AI techniques.
- The successful candidate will have a track record of successfully establishing and leading large-scale data science projects to deliver end-to-end products in support of business objectives.
- The candidate must possess excellent communication skills and empathy in order to connect with people on the team while helping to cultivate an inclusive team culture.
- This role is responsible for participating in business strategy sessions to determine long-term vision and provide analytical support and guidance.
- This position works with the Sr. Director of Data Science to develop and implement strategies to attract and maintain a highly skilled and engaged workforce. This position will mentor teams around designing, developing, testing, validating, and deploying innovative and practical data science solutions.
- The candidate must be an evangelist, driving wider adoption of data science across the domains we support.
- This position develops and leverages internal and external partnerships and networks to maximize the achievement of business goals.
- Bachelor of Science and 7 years' data science experience OR Master of Science and 5 years' data science experience OR PhD
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Master of Science from relevant areas with 7 years of data science experience OR PhD from relevant areas with 5 years of data science experience; at least 2 years of supervisory experience.
What started small, with a single discount store and the simple idea of selling more for less, has grown over the last 50 years into the largest retailer in the world. Each week, over 260 million customers and members visit our 11,695 stores under 59 banners in 28 countries and e-commerce websites in 11 countries. With fiscal year 2017 revenue of $485.9 billion, Walmart employs approximately 2.3 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. It's all part of our unwavering commitment to creating opportunities and bringing value to customers and communities around the world.