- A Principal Data Scientist is responsible for collaborating with a business segment to determine long-term vision and provide analytical support and guidance. A Principal Data Scientist analyzes large data sets to develop multiple, complex custom models and algorithms to drive innovative business solutions. Principal Data Scientists work on large project teams in order to provide analytical support and guidance to a large project team (for example, email targeting, business optimization, consumer recommendations) within Walmart eCommerce. The algorithms built
- Build learning systems to analyze and filter continuous data flows and offline data analysis.
- Combine data features to determine search models.
- Conduct advanced statistical analysis to determine trends and significant data relationships.
- Develop machine learning models to apply test data algorithms to future data.
- Develop models of current state in order to determine improvements needed.
- Drives the execution of multiple business plans and projects
- Ensures business needs are being met
- Interpret data to identify trends to go across future data sets.
- Lead project teams to develop innovative solutions to drive innovative business solutions.
- Lead the implementation of data modeling solutions.
- Promotes and supports company policies, procedures, mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity
- Provide guidance to cross-functional leadership regarding data modeling possibilities.
- Provides supervision and development opportunities for associates
- Research new techniques and best practices within the industry.
- Review business strategies to ensure alignment across initiatives.
- Scale new algorithms to large data sets.
- Train algorithms to apply models to new data sets.
- Translate business needs into data modeling initiatives.
- Utilize system tools including (MySQL, Hadoop, Weka, R, Matlab,ILog).
- Validate models and algorithmic techniques.
- Bachelor of Science and 6 years' data science experience OR Master of Science and 4 years' data science experience OR PhD.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
Local Theory is a portfolio company under Walmart’s startup incubator Store No. 8. At Local Theory, we are obsessed with finding data science solutions to challenging problems in Merchandising. We believe that the relevance of the products we sell in our stores is the life blood of Walmart. Although Walmart is the largest retailer in the world, we want each individual store to be tailored to the community and optimized for the associates serving that community. At Local Theory, we are passionate about ideas; our default is to move fast and iterate to develop them.We are building a team of optimistic and talented associates in an environment which has the dynamism of a startup but the resources and data of the world’s largest corporation.