Imagine working in an environment where one experiment can catapult an entire industry toward a smarter future. That’s what we do at Walmart Labs. We’re a team of 5,000+ software engineers, data scientists, designers and product managers within Walmart, the world’s largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and our enterprise operates.What you'll do
This candidate will develop and support Walmart's massive Kubernetes platform across public, private and edge computing environments.
- Builds tooling to help 5,000+ Walmart engineers take code from commit to production safely and quickly.
- Builds tooling to help Walmart engineers unlock the power of cloud native technologies and techniques (autoscaling, canary deployments, service mesh and more).
- Directs root cause analysis of critical business and production issues.
- Leads and directs in large-scale, complex, cross-functional projects.
- Leads the discovery phase of large projects to develop high level design.
- Promotes and supports company policies, procedures, mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity.
- Eager to work on the line between Software Engineering and Systems Engineering.
- Curious and a step ahead when it comes to software trends.
- A natural leader who takes ownership of the team's deliverables.
- Willing to take responsibility for running a critical part of our infrastructure.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and 4 years experience in software engineering or related field OR 6 years experience in software engineering or related field.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
We'd love to see:
- Master's degree in Computer Science or related field and 3 years experience in software engineering or related field.
- Minimum of 4-6 years of experience at a startup, mid- to large-sized corporation is required. The candidate must possess good oral and written communication skills.
- The candidate must have advanced working knowledge in one of the following languages: Go (preferred), Java (preferred), or other modern programming languages.
- The candidate must have working knowledge in container and cloud native technologies (Kubernetes, Docker, other).
- Prior experience developing or working with Cloud technologies such as Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform, or OpenStack is highly desired.
- Prior experience developing or working with CI/CD and GitOps systems is highly desired.
- A track record of running large-scale systems
- Containerization experience especially Docker and Kubernetes.
What started small, with a single discount store and the simple idea of selling more for less, has grown over the last 50 years into the largest retailer in the world. Each week, over 260 million customers and members visit our 11,695 stores under 59 banners in 28 countries and e-commerce websites in 11 countries. With fiscal year 2017 revenue of $485.9 billion, Walmart employs approximately 2.3 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. It's all part of our unwavering commitment to creating opportunities and bringing value to customers and communities around the world.
This candidate will help develop Kubernetes Platform as a Service offering on public cloud as well as support existing growing production K8s environments in DCs and Stores.
Directs root cause analysis of critical business and production issues
Drives the execution of multiple business plans and projects
Ensures business needs are being met
Leads and directs in large-scale, complex, cross-functional projects
Leads the discovery phase of large projects to develop high level design
Leads the work of cross-functional groups of ten to twenty engineers, including offshore associates, for assigned Engineering projects
Promotes and supports company policies, procedures, mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity
Provides supervision and development opportunities for associates
Supports business objectives