Senior Director, Software Engineer
You will be accountable for a large distributed engineering team, tasked with building and enhancing a market leading platform with key business partners on multiple continents with the purpose of providing the best digital experience to store associates. Lead the design and architecture of cloud and mobile solutions for our Walmart Stores globally. This team supports associate technology platforms including, inbound and outbound merchandise, store inventory automation, location, item, pricing, store finance, associate communication and other innovative technology designed to continuously improve associate in-store experiences. The team is also responsible for advanced store automation projects, like the aisle scanning robot and FAST. This people leader will be responsible for the technical mentorship and professional development of 250 engineers across two main locations.
We believe in close collaboration to build products and services that meet our customer’s needs. The successful person in this role will be a student of the business, proactively recommending viable solutions that meet Walmart’s global stores team’s needs. The best candidate will embrace our culture of servant leadership and cross-team collaboration; working closely with other senior leaders in shaping our strategy and execution. The role requires a visionary leader who loves technology and loves leading people – and will help us evolve as technology and customer needs constantly change.
• Technology: Hands on technologist with deep and broad technical capability, and an innate passion for technology. Software delivery experience.
• People Leadership and Talent Development: Lead a large team of software engineers and leaders. Develop and lead a high performing management team.
• Technical credibility with the engineering team and a proven ability to productively challenge current thinking.
• Industry: Retail, Tech and Ecommerce a plus. Understands market demands.
• Communication and Relationships: with a diverse set of global business partners
• Degree in a STEM field preferred
• Is a missionary, not a mercenary
• Bachelor of Science and 10 years engineering experience OR Master of Science and 9 years engineering experience OR PhD and 6 years engineering experience
Additional Preferred Qualifications
• 6 years experience designing and implementing technical solutions using industry standard tools (for example, Java) and design patterns (for example, integration patterns).
• 6 years experience creating and presenting technical strategies and technical solution recommendations.
• 5 years experience leading cross-functional teams in information technology or related field.
• 4 years experience integrating new technologies or technical solutions into existing technology portfolio.
• 4 years experience using object-oriented design concepts.
What started small, with a single discount store and the simple idea of selling more for less, has grown over the last 50 years into the largest retailer in the world. Each week, over 260 million customers and members visit our 11,695 stores under 59 banners in 28 countries and e-commerce websites in 11 countries. With fiscal year 2017 revenue of $485.9 billion, Walmart employs approximately 2.3 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. It's all part of our unwavering commitment to creating opportunities and bringing value to customers and communities around the world.
Our people make the difference—and that means all our people. Throughout our history, it has always been our associates who have been the key to our success, and it will remain that way in the future. Walmart values diverse backgrounds, experiences, ideas and mindsets. We welcome all types of talent where your story is included, and you bring your whole self to work! Walmart is a place where any associate can build their dreams and grow.