What you'll do...
- Understands and translates business and functional needs to produce clean datasets; designs and develops scalable ETL solutions in cloud; works closely with data scientists and machine learning engineers to develop data pipelines; collaborates with development teams to test and deploy large scale data processing pipelines; creates metrics to continuously evaluate the performance of ETL solutions; maintains and improves the performance of existing solutions; ensures adherence to performance standards and compliance to data security requirements; keeps abreast of new tools, algorithms, and techniques in data engineering and works to implement them in the organization.
- Problem Formulation: Identifies possible options to address the business problems within one's discipline through analytics, big data analytics, and
- Applied Business Acumen: Supports the development of business cases and recommendations. Owns delivery of project activity and tasks assigned
by others. Supports process updates and changes. Solves business issues.
- Data Governance: Supports the documentation of data governance processes. Supports the implementation of data governance practices.
- Data Strategy: Understands, articulates, and applies principles of the defined strategy to routine business problems that involve a single function.
- Data Transformation and Integration: Extracts data from identified databases. Creates data pipelines and transform data to a structure that is relevant
to the problem by selecting appropriate techniques. Develops knowledge of current data science and analytics trends.
- Data Source Identification: Supports the understanding of the priority order of requirements and service level agreements. Helps identify the most
suitable source for data that is fit for purpose. Performs initial data quality checks on extracted data.
- Data Modeling: Analyzes complex data elements, systems, data flows, dependencies, and relationships to contribute to conceptual, physical, and
logical data models. Develops the Logical Data Model and Physical Data Models including data warehouse and data mart designs. Defines relational
tables, primary and foreign keys, and stored procedures to create a data model structure.
- Evaluates existing data models and physical databases for
variances and discrepancies. Develops efficient data flows. Analyzes data-related system integration challenges and proposes appropriate solutions.
- Creates training documentation and trains end-users on data modeling. Oversees the tasks of less experienced programmers and stipulates system
- Code Development and Testing: Writes code to develop the required solution and application features by determining the appropriate programming
language and leveraging business, technical, and data requirements. Creates test cases to review and validate the proposed solution design. Creates
proofs of concept. Tests the code using the appropriate testing approach. Deploys software to production servers. Contributes code documentation,
maintains playbooks, and provides timely progress updates.
- Demonstrates up-to-date expertise and applies this to the development, execution, and improvement of action plans by providing expert advice and
guidance to others in the application of information and best practices; supporting and aligning efforts to meet customer and business needs; and
building commitment for perspectives and rationales.
- Provides and supports the implementation of business solutions by building relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders; identifying business needs; determining and carrying out necessary processes and practices; monitoring progress and results; recognizing and capitalizing on improvement opportunities; and adapting to competing demands, organizational changes, and new responsibilities.
- Models compliance with company policies and procedures and supports company mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity by incorporating these into the development and implementation of business plans; using the Open Door Policy; and demonstrating and assisting others with how to apply these in executing business processes and practices.
About Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That’s what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We’re a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world’s largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service or some code, but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. Being human-led is our true disruption.
Working virtually this year has helped us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team, be more flexible in our personal lives and spend less time commuting. Today, we are reimagining the tech workplace of the future by making a permanent transition to virtual work for most of our team. Of course, being together in person is an important part of our culture and shared success. We’ll collaborate in person at a regular cadence and with purpose.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Option 1: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and 2 years' experience in software engineering or related field. Option 2: 4 years’ experience in
software engineering or related field. Option 3: Master's degree in Computer Science.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Data engineering, database engineering, business intelligence, or business analytics, Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field and 2 years' experience in software engineering or related field