What you'll do...
Work within Walmart’s newly formed Global Tech Platforms organization to develop and support Walmart’s massive Kubernetes platform across public, private and edge computing environments. Join a highly collaborative team and support our vision to intelligently and efficiently direct root cause analysis of critical business and production issues. This platform will become a critical backbone powering a significant set of Walmart’s mission critical workloads.
You’ll sweep us off our feet if….
- Go programming language proficiency. Java is also nice to have.
- Working knowledge in container and cloud native technologies – Kubernetes, Docker
- Prior experience developing or working with Cloud technologies such as Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform, or OpenStack is highly desired.
- Prior experience developing or working with CI/CD or GitOps systems is highly desired.
You’ll make an impact by…
- Build and improve our Kubernetes multi-cluster deployment product.
- Writing code that is testable and readable, and paying down technical debt regularly.
- Working in a complex globally distributed, multi cloud environment
What you’ll do…
- Leads and participates in medium- to large-scale projects by reviewing project requirements; translating requirements into technical solutions; gathering requested information (for example, design documents, product requirements, wire frames); writing and developing code; conducting unit testing; communicating status and issues to team members and stakeholders; collaborating with project team and cross functional teams; troubleshooting open issues and bug-fixes; ensuring on-time delivery and hand-offs; interacting with project manager to provide input on project plan; and providing leadership to the project team.
- Leads the work of other small groups of four to six engineers, including offshore associates, for assigned Engineering projects by proving pertinent documents, direction, and examples; identifying short and long term solutions and timeline; reviewing and providing feedback for proposed solutions; and performing design and code reviews of changes.
- Troubleshoots business and production issues by gathering information (for example, issue, impact, criticality, possible root cause); engaging support teams to assist in the resolution of issues; formulating an action plan; performing actions as designated in the plan; interpreting the results to determine further action; performs root cause analysis to prevent future occurrence of issues; and completing online documentation.
- Leads the discovery phase of medium to large projects to come up with high level design by partnering with the product management, project management, business and user experience teams; and obtaining cross-function approvals.
What you’ll bring…
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and 3 years’ experience in software engineering or related field OR 5 years’ experience in software
- Key languages needed are: Java, Python, Go, Scala, C, C++.
- Firm understanding of distributed system challenges (Consensus, processing semantics, Event-sourcing, CQRS, Locks, Concurrency, Transactions, etc.)
- Experience with distributed messaging systems like Kafka
- Strong grasp of HDFS/Hadoop ecosystem
- Working within stateful and/or stateless containers and orchestration via Kubernetes, Nomad or equivalent
- Experience with Relational, Distributed, and Document Databases such as Cassandra/HBase, MySQL, CosmosDB, Spanner, or Dynamo
- Experience with PaaS systems including Cosmos, Cloud Sql, Redshift, etc
- Fundamental ANSI SQL understanding
About Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That’s what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We’re a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world’s largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service or some code, but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. Being human-led is our true disruption.
Working virtually this year has helped us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team, be more flexible in our personal lives and spend less time commuting. Today, we are reimagining the tech workplace of the future by making a permanent transition to virtual work for most of our team. Of course, being together in person is an important part of our culture and shared success. We’ll collaborate in person at a regular cadence and with purpose.
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and 3 years’ experience in software engineering or related field OR 5 years’ experience in software
engineering or related field.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field and 2 years' experience in software engineering or related field
702 SW 8TH ST, BENTONVILLE, AR 72716, United States of America