What you'll do...
Working at Sam’s Club means a career without boundaries. There’s always room to grow, to take on another challenge, to roll up your sleeves and contribute, and to find professional rewards for your hard work. Yes, we are a division of the Fortune #1 company, Walmart, Inc. But you’ll quickly find that we’re a company that wants you to feel comfortable bringing your whole self to work. A career at Sam’s Club is where the world’s most complex challenges meet a kinder way of life. Our mission spreads far beyond the walls of our clubs. Join us and you'll discover why our company is a world leader in diversity and inclusion, sustainability, and community involvement. From day one, you’ll be empowered and equipped to do the best work of your life.
At Sam's Club Technology, we are developing the next generation of capabilities in the Big Data space. We are building these new capabilities leveraging an open source software stack and modern cloud-based infrastructure. To support our business, these capabilities need to handle massive amounts of data and be adaptable to an ever-changing/adapting data landscape. We are looking for a highly motivated, resourceful, team-oriented individual to drive the data platform capabilities. Our ideal candidate is an exceptionally talented engineer with an outstanding track record of working with very large data sets and building robust data platform. You will be working with structured/unstructured Data sets, building large scale Data processing platforms, implementing world class data governance and operational controls, solving complex performance challenges.
What you’ll do:
- Troubleshoot business and production issues by reviewing and analyzing information (for example, issue, impact, criticality, possible root cause); engaging support teams to assist in the resolution of issues; formulating an action plan; directing actions as designated in the plan; interpreting the
results to determine further action; performs root cause analysis to prevent future occurrence of issues; and completing online documentation.
- Lead the discovery phase of medium to large projects to come up with high level design by partnering with the product management, Web Operations, project management, business and user experience teams; obtaining cross-function approvals; driving proof-of-concept; and
implementing prototypes to validate ideas.
- Develop Innovation strategies, processes, and best practices by leading internal technical teams; partnering with cross-functional teams across the business; developing assessments of key opportunities; documenting project scopes; developing long-range plans and project timelines;
communicating with and influencing decision-makers and executives within the organization; and resolving technology differences across teams through informed discussions.
- Lead and participate in medium- to large-scale, complex, cross-functional projects by reviewing project requirements; translating requirements into technical solutions; gathering requested information (for example, design documents, product requirements, wire frames); writing and developing code; conducting unit testing; communicating status and issues to team members and stakeholders; collaborating with project team and cross functional teams; troubleshooting open issues and bug-fixes; enhancing design to prevent re-occurrences of defects; ensuring on-time delivery and hand-offs; interacting with project manager to provide input on project plan; and providing leadership to the project team.
- Support business objectives by collaborating with business partners to identify opportunities; addressing high-priority initiatives (for example, business strategy, technical feasibility, implementation alternatives); identifying short- and long-term solutions; and leading cross-functional partnership.
- Utilize industry research to improve Wal-Mart's technology environment by analyzing industry best practices; bench marking industry against internal processes and solutions; researching or influencing future industry solutions for fit with internal needs; and defining software development guidelines, standards and processes.
Now, imagine doing all the above for the world’s largest retailer. That’s the Walmart experience. Intrigued?
You’ll make an impact by:
- Design and build the next generation big data platform in the public cloud.
- Develop proof-of-concept prototype with fast iteration and experimentation.
- Maintain forks of open source tools essential to the platform.
- Develop tools for self-service data and cluster management.
- Engage with architects and senior technical leads to create and enhance complex software components.
- Work with business customers, product managers and engineers to design feature-based solutions and implement them in an agile fashion.
- Design, configure and implement systems that can scale to process terabytes of data between heterogeneous systems on premise and cloud.
- Design data integration pipeline architecture and ensure successful creation of the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using Spark, SQL and other technologies.
- Build robust and scalable applications using SQL, Scala/Python and Spark.
- Create real time data streaming and processing using Kafka and/or Spark streaming.
- Work on creating data ingestion processes to maintain Data Lake on Google and Azure cloud.
- Develop and maintain design documentation, test cases, monitoring and performance evaluation using Git, Jenkins, Confluence etc. Perform continuous integration and deployment using Git and Jenkins.
You’ll sweep us off our feet if…
- 10+ years of experience with 5+ years of Big data platform development experience
- Experience in HDFS, Hive, MapReduce, Spark, Python, Shell Scripting, Unix.
- Demonstrates expertise in writing complex, highly optimized queries across large data sets
- Retail experience and knowledge of commercial data is a huge plus
- Knowledge of common data science languages (Python & R) and packages (pandas, scikit-learn, tensorflow, dplyr, ggplot2, etc.)
- Experience developing data pipelines with Airflow or other tools
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with public cloud platforms like Azure or Google
- Experience with distributed NoSQL databases like Cassandra
- Previous experience working with a distributed team
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
About the Team:
As a member of the of the Engineering group, you’ll be responsible for evaluating large amounts of data as part of the ongoing effort to optimize processes and delivery protocols. You’ll operate as a trusted advisor as it relates to efficiencies and best practices. As a senior member of the team, you’ll be able to say that you work for the world’s largest retailer and contribute to the development to best-in-class methodologies that impacted perception and drastically changed business as we know it.
Who We Are:
Sam Walton opened the first Sam's Club in 1983 to meet a growing need among customers who wanted to buy merchandise in bulk. Since then, Sam's Club has grown rapidly, operating almost 600 clubs in the US. By offering affordable, wholesale merchandise to members, Sam's Club helps make saving simple for families and small business owners.
Benefits & Perks:
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and 5 years’ experience in software engineering or related field OR 7 years’ experience in software
engineering or related field
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field and 4 years' experience in software engineering or related field
2101 SE SIMPLE SAVINGS DR, BENTONVILLE, AR 72712-4304, United States of America