What you'll do...
At Walmart, we help people save money, so they can live better. This mission serves as the foundation for every decision we make and drives us to create the future of retail. We can’t do that without the best talent – talent that is innovative, curious, and driven to create exceptional experiences for our customers.
Do you have boundless energy and passion for engineering data used to solve dynamic problems that will shape the future of retail? With the sheer scale of Walmart’s environment comes the biggest of big data sets. As a Walmart Data Engineer, you will dig into our mammoth scale of data to help unleash the power of retail data science by imagining, developing, and maintaining data pipelines that our Data Scientists and Analysts can rely on. You will be responsible for contributing to an orchestration layer of complex data transformations, refining raw data from source into targeted, valuable data assets for consumption in a governed way. You will partner with Data Scientists, Analysts, other engineers and business stakeholders to solve complex and exciting challenges so that we can build out capabilities that evolve the retail business model while making a positive impact on our customers’ lives.
You’ll make an impact by:
- Direct root cause analysis of critical business and production issues.
- Lead and direct large-scale, complex, cross-functional projects.
- Be a technical lead and drive the team towards building a highly scalable and performing container platform.
- Using data integration techniques to build refined, high impact data sets from complex multi-platform environments (cloud and on-prem) that integrate diverse, large scale internal and external data sources.
- Developing learning systems to analyze and filter continuous data flows, driving toward increasingly lower latency so our data scientists, data analysts and the models they build reflect what is happening in our business right now.
- Combining a sense of urgency and expert knowledge of data structures to solve and enhance complex computing performance challenges, so that we can optimize and scale algorithms.
- Identifying, developing and delivering improvements on data performance, data quality and cost.
- Bring new ideas by staying current through continual research and application of new, effective data engineering techniques and best practices from across industries.
- Being a passionate adopter and ambassador for data engineer practices and process.
- Eager to work on the line between Software Engineering and Data Engineering.
- Writing code that is reusable, testable and readable, and paying down technical debt regularly.
- Always seeing ways to incrementally improve systems and remove unnecessary complexity.
- Willing to take responsibility for running a critical part of our infrastructure.
- A passion to mentor and guide team members.
- Promote and support company policies, procedures, mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity.
What you need to be successful in the role:
- Prior Software Engineering experience at a startup, or mid to large sized corp.
- Proficient oral and written communication skills.
- Prior experience developing or working, with hands on experience building, running and deploying application with Cloud technologies such as Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform.
- Prior experience developing or working with CI/CD or GitOps systems is highly desired.
- Ability to learn and adapt new technologies, passion for continuous improvement.
- Ability to deliver in Agile method (Kanban or SCRUM).
- Experience developing containerized cloud applications.
- Data engineering, database engineering, business intelligence, or business analytics, ETL tools and working with large data sets in the cloud.
- Data Modeling - Analyzes complex data elements, systems, data flows, dependencies, and relationships to contribute to conceptual, physical, and logical data models.
- Develops the Logical Data Model and Physical Data Models including data warehouse and data mart designs. Defines relational tables, primary and foreign keys, and stored procedures to create a data model structure.
- Architectural Design, develop, implement and tune distributed data processing pipelines that process large volume of data; focusing on scalability, low -latency, and fault-tolerance in every system built.
- Demonstrates expertise in writing complex, highly-optimized queries across large data sets to write data pipelines and data processing layers.
- Proven, working expertise with Big Data Technologies Hadoop, HDFS, Hive, Spark Scala/PySpark and SQL.
- Proven, experience writing complex Python scripts for data extraction and transformation.
- Experience with distributed databases like Cassandra, MongoDB, excellent understanding of SQL database.
- Experience using messaging systems like Kafka, ActiveMQ with solid understanding of enterprise service patterns.
- Knowledge and experience in Kafka, Storm, Druid and Presto with Hands-on experience of Spark and knowledge of cloud systems are added advantage.
You’ll sweep us off our feet if:
- You have consistently high standards, your passion for quality is inherent in everything that you do.
- You’re an inquisitive, out-of-the box thinker who’s continually on the lookout for opportunities to improve and innovate data systems and analytic solutions.
- You are a collaborative connector who builds bridges between teams and functions.
- You evangelize an extremely high standard of code quality, system reliability, and performance.
- You have a proven track record coding with at least one programming language (e.g., SQL, Java, C++, Python).
- You’re experienced in computing platforms and companion tools (e.g., Azure, SQL & NoSQL).
- You’re skilled in data modeling & data migration protocols.
- Excellent understanding of designing and building scalable, high availability, distributed (multi-tiered), and concurrent applications.
Benefits & Perks:
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Who We Are
Join Walmart and your work could help over 275 million global customers live better every week. Yes, we are the Fortune #1 company. But you’ll quickly find we’re a company who wants you to feel comfortable bringing your whole self to work. A career at Walmart is where the world’s most complex challenges meet a kinder way of life. Our mission spreads far beyond the walls of our stores. Join us and you'll discover why we are a world leader in diversity and inclusion, sustainability, and community involvement. From day one, you’ll be empowered and equipped to do the best work of your life. careers.walmart.com
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
As permitted by applicable law, provide evidence of full vaccination as defined by CDC guidelines OR secure approval of medical or religious accommodation for the vaccination mandate., Option 1: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and 4 years' experience in software engineering or related field. Option 2: 6 years’ experience in software engineering or related field. Option 3: Master's degree in Computer Science and 2 years' experience in software engineering or related field.
3 years' experience in data engineering, database engineering, business intelligence, or business analytics.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Data engineering, database engineering, business intelligence, or business analytics, ETL tools and working with large data sets in the cloud, Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field and 4 years' experience in software engineering or related field
805 SE MOBERLY LN, BENTONVILLE, AR 72712, United States of America