Position Summary...What you'll do...
At Walmart, we help people save money, so they can live better. This mission serves as the foundation for every decision we make and drives us to create the future of retail. We can't do that without the best talent - talent that is innovative, curious, and driven to create exceptional experiences for our customers.
Do you have boundless energy and passion for engineering data used to solve dynamic problems that will shape the future of retail? With the sheer scale of Walmart's environment comes the biggest of big data sets. As a Walmart Data Engineer, you will dig into our mammoth scale of data to help unleash the power of retail data science by imagining, developing, and maintaining data pipelines that our Data Scientists and Analysts can rely on. You will be responsible for contributing to an orchestration layer of complex data transformations, refining raw data from source into targeted, valuable data assets for consumption in a governed way.You will partner with Data Scientists, Analysts, other engineers and business stakeholders to solve complex and exciting challenges so that we can build out capabilities that evolve the retail business model while making a positive impact on our customers' lives.You'll make an impact by:
You'll sweep us off our feet if you:
- Problem Formulation: Identifies possible options to address the business problems within one's discipline through analytics, big data analytics, and automation.
- Applied Business Acumen: Supports the development of business cases and recommendations. Owns delivery of project activity and tasks assigned by others. Supports process updates and changes. Solves business issues.
- Data Governance: Supports the documentation of data governance processes. Supports the implementation of data governance practices.
- Data Strategy: Understands, articulates, and applies principles of the defined strategy to routine business problems that involve a single function.
- Data Transformation and Integration: Extracts data from identified databases. Creates data pipelines and transform data to a structure that is relevant to the problem by selecting appropriate techniques. Develops knowledge of current data science and analytics trends.
- Data Source Identification : Supports the understanding of the priority order of requirements and service level agreements. Helps identify the most suitable source for data that is fit for purpose. Performs initial data quality checks on extracted data.
- Data Modeling: Analyzes complex data elements, systems, data flows, dependencies, and relationships to contribute to conceptual, physical, and logical data models. Develops the Logical Data Model and Physical Data Models including data warehouse and data mart designs. Defines relational tables, primary and foreign keys, and stored procedures to create a data model structure. Evaluates existing data models and physical databases for variances and discrepancies. Develops efficient data flows. Analyzes data-related system integration challenges and proposes appropriate solutions. Creates training documentation and trains end-users on data modeling. Oversees the tasks of less experienced programmers and stipulates system troubleshooting supports.
- Code Development and Testing: Writes code to develop the required solution and application features by determining the appropriate programming language and leveraging business, technical, and data requirements. Creates test cases to review and validate the proposed solution design. Creates proofs of concept. Tests the code using the appropriate testing approach. Deploys software to production servers. Contributes code documentation, maintains playbooks, and provides timely progress updates.
- Demonstrates up-to-date expertise and applies this to the development, execution, and improvement of action plans by providing expert advice and guidance to others in the application of information and best practices; supporting and aligning efforts to meet customer and business needs; and building commitment for perspectives and rationales.
- Provides and supports the implementation of business solutions by building relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders; identifying business needs; determining and carrying out necessary processes and practices; monitoring progress and results; recognizing and capitalizing on improvement opportunities; and adapting to competing demands, organizational changes, and new responsibilities.
- Models compliance with company policies and procedures and supports company mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity by incorporating these into the development and implementation of business plans; using the Open Door Policy; and demonstrating and assisting others with how to apply these in executing business processes and practices.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.Minimum Qualifications
Benefits & Perks:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and 4 years' experience OR Master's degree in Computer Science and 2 years' experience in the following
- ETL technologies (e.g., Airflow, Automic, SSIS, DataStage, etc)
- Relational Database platforms (e.g., SQL Server, MySQL, Informix, Oracle, etc)
- Troubleshooting skills in operating systems like Unix, Windows and in Containers
- Strong Programming skills in Java, SQL, and Python/Scala
- L1/L2/L3 Operational support
- Experience in Big Data Platforms (e.g., Spark, Hadoop HDFS, BigQuery, Cloudera)
- Working experience in handling large volumes of data. Experience in handling telemetry data in a plus
- Self-directed, well organized and have good follow-up skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to drive results, especially in a matrixed or influence based environment
- Driven to work with the teams to dig into data, processes, and issues
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer - By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions - while being inclusive of all people.Who WeAre
Join Walmart and your work could help over 275million global customers live better every week. Yes, we are the Fortune #1 company. But you'll quickly find we're a company who wants you to feel comfortable bringing your whole self to work. A career at Walmart is where the world's most complex challenges meet a kinder way of life. Our mission spreads far beyond the walls of our stores. Join us and you'll discover why we are a world leader in diversity and inclusion, sustainability, and community involvement. From day one, you'll be empowered and equipped to do the best work of your life. careers.walmart.com Minimum Qualifications...
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Option 1: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and 2 years' experience in software engineering or related field. Option 2: 4 years' experience in
software engineering or related field. Option 3: Master's degree in Computer Science. Preferred Qualifications...
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Data engineering, database engineering, business intelligence, or business analytics, Master's degree in Computer Science or related field and 2 years' experience in software engineering or related field Primary Location...
2001 SE 10th St, Bentonville, AR 72716-3724, United States of America