Engineer – Transmission Construction
Little Rock, AR, USA
Transmission Construction / Full Time
Arkansas Electric Cooperative Corporation (AECC) is an organization with a rich history and a bright future. As a leader in the energy industry we look to our employees to help us grow, change, and provide power to over 500,000 members of our 17 electric distribution cooperatives.
A Transmission Construction Engineer provides the initiative, skills, resourcefulness and responsibility required to give AECC a properly constructed and reliable electrical transmission system. In this position, you will be given the opportunity to work alongside peers who are versatile, enthusiastic, and continuing to strive to push AECC and our mission forward.
- Provides oversight and coordination to the construction and commissioning of substations, transmission lines, and POD's. Ensures facilities are constructed in a timely, cost effective manner in accordance with construction prints, standards, and specifications. Assists and advises distribution member cooperatives on construction and maintenance of investment credit facilities upon request.
- Interprets prints, prepares purchase orders and pick lists, interprets engineering specifications, ensures labor and material are on site for construction and maintenance of new transmission and substation facilities, including coordination of inventory to ensure timely completion of maintenance and construction projects.
- Assists Supervisor with preparation and administration of legal contracts with third party contractors. Interprets and explains plans and contract terms to coworkers and contractors, as needed. Assists in selection and qualification of substation and transmission line contractors, monitors construction progress, and processes contractor invoices for payment.
- Prepares construction and project schedules, assists with scheduling of resources, and updates stakeholders on major construction and maintenance projects.
- Provides construction field support, as needed, including, but not limited to: 1) Participating in surveying to lay out installations or establish reference points, grades, or elevations to guide construction, 2) Scheduling and reviewing QA/QC Testing, such as density tests, concrete testing, commission tests, etc. 3) Updating field drawings and design packets to reflect field modifications, in order to accurately represent "As Built" final conditions, 4) Visiting sites to troubleshoot design/construction issues as problems are identified by Contractors or Field Personnel. Provides Civil Engineering expertise to address issues, and works with on-site laborers, as well as design Engineers to implement solutions.
- Assists with monitoring safety programs for technicians assigned to major construction projects. Coordinates and monitors contractor safety on major construction or maintenance projects. Studies job specifications to determine appropriate construction methods, in accordance with AECC and OSHA Regulations.
- Prepares and coordinates pre-construction meetings with contractors and internal personnel regarding major construction projects. Prepares construction variance reports, project management metrics, recommendations on labor allocations, and other updates to management personnel for major construction projects
- Assists with the preparation of budget items, including budget proposals, work orders, and purchase orders for this area of responsibility.
- Represents AECC on various committees, working groups and advisory councils.
- Travels to power plants and member system investment credit substations and transmission facilities, as required, providing technical support to Power Delivery and Power Production personnel.
- Must have the ability to travel statewide to various active projects.
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering or related engineering field from an ABET accredited University.
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to become a Registered Professional Engineer in the State of Arkansas.
- Experience with AutoCAD software is desirable.
- Must have ability to read and interpret design drawings.
- Must have ability to read and interpret construction specifications and site-specific details.
- Knowledge of high voltage electrical equipment, substation layouts, and/or HV transmission lines is desirable
- Must be able to travel to various locations throughout the state of Arkansas to complete work
assignments. Overnight travel to meetings or work sites is required, up to 50%.
- FE or PE certification. Registered Professional Engineer in the state of Arkansas.
- 2 Retirement Plan Options
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- 9 Paid holidays
- Educational assistance
- Paid time off accruals
- Short-term disability
- Long-term disability
- Free & confidential Employee Assistance Program
Should you elect to apply for this position, AECC/AECI will review your qualifications. If after reviewing the qualifications and experience of all applicants, your skills and credentials meet our needs, someone from our organization may contact you. Please be advised that the time required to complete the applicant review process typically takes between 30 and 90 days, but could extend beyond that. Once the position has been filled, all applicants will be notified via email.
Arkansas Electric Cooperative Corporation and Arkansas Electric Cooperatives, Inc. are Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age or any other protected category.