Position DescriptionWhat you'll do at Walmart Labs
The Merchant Tech organization is standing up a new team to reimagine how we conduct merchandise financial planning and deliver innovative solutions for our merchants. We have some really challenging problems to solve and are looking to grow our team with software engineers who take pride in their craft and are ready to grow in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment. If you enjoy solving tough problems and completely changing the way people work, this is the role for you!As a Staff Software Engineer, you will:
- Provide hands-on technical leadership for a team of six to ten engineers, including offshore associates, for assigned Engineering projects
- Design and implement distributed systems in an agile delivery environment
- Design and build integrations with partner technologies
- Innovate without losing sight of our mission
- Ensure that systems are properly tested, monitored and instrumented
- Own the code that your team brings to Production
- Collaborate directly with Product Managers
- Help build a great engineering culture that consistently delivers value to our customers and business
- Develop Innovation strategies, processes, and best practices
- Drive the execution of multiple business plans and projects
- Ensure business needs are being met
- Lead and participate in medium- to large-scale, complex, cross-functional projects
- Lead the discovery phase of medium to large projects to come up with high level design
- Promote and support company policies, procedures, mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity
- Troubleshoot business and production issues
- Utilize industry research to improve Wal-Mart's technology environment
- Bachelor of Science and 6 years' experience in software engineering OR Master of Science and 3 years' experience in software engineering.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- 5+ years experience designing technical solutions in response to customer requests or changes in retail business.
- 5+ years experience designing, leading, and implementing technology projects.
- 5+ years experience in production support, including problem identification, ticket documentation, and customer and vendor relations.
- 5+ years experience in development of Java webservices
- Experience developing cloud-native applications
- 5+ years experience in database design (RDBMS and NoSQL)
- Experience/knowledge of any big data technologies such as Apache Spark, Storm, Kafka is a plus
- Hands-on experience on Azure and/or GCP is a plus
- Ability to communicate complex technical concepts in an approachable way for broad audiences.
- Experience working in a cloud computing environment (infrastructure, storage, platforms and/or data)
- Experience in agile delivery, as well as DevOps.
- Demonstrated technical, architecture and design leadership
- Demonstrated success in distributed systems, especially REST based services
- Strong API design, development, and management
What started small, with a single discount store and the simple idea of selling more for less, has grown over the last 50 years into the largest retailer in the world. Each week, over 260 million customers and members visit our 11,695 stores under 59 banners in 28 countries and e-commerce websites in 11 countries. With fiscal year 2017 revenue of $485.9 billion, Walmart employs approximately 2.3 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. It's all part of our unwavering commitment to creating opportunities and bringing value to customers and communities around the world.