Position DescriptionWhat you'll do at Walmart Labs
The Merchant Tech organization is standing up a new team to develop Cost & Negotiation solutions for our merchants. This is a greenfield startup and our teams are agile and cloud-native. We learn from each other every day. We have a startup culture and are looking to grow our team with software engineers who take pride in their craft and are ready to grow in a fast-paced team-oriented environment. As a Senior Software Engineer, you will:
- Provide hands-on technical guidance for engineering team members
- Participate in the discovery phase of medium to large projects to design and implement systems in an agile delivery environment
- Analyzes business needs and develops plans to implement software requirements in conjunction with product management
- Design and build integrations with partner technologies
- Independently handle high impact, critical software/systems monitoring issues and tickets/ incidents.
- Innovate without losing sight of our mission
- Be given the freedom to try new things and prove the value of your own ideas and innovations and own them all the way to production
- Ensure that systems are properly tested, monitored and instrumented
- Own the code that you and the team brings to Production
- Utilizes industry research to improve Wal-Mart's technology environment
- Help build a great engineering culture that consistently delivers value to our customers and business
- Bachelor of Science and 5 years' experience in software engineering OR Master of Science 2 years' experience in software engineering
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Enthusiasm, curiosity, energy, perseverance and the desire to solve big problems
- Ability to work in a results-oriented, rapidly changing, dynamic and fast-paced environment that requires collaboration across multiple stakeholders
- Ability to communicate complex technical concepts in an approachable way for broad audiences.
- Experience working in a cloud computing environment (infrastructure, storage, platforms and/or data)
- Experience in agile delivery, as well as DevOps.
- Demonstrated technical, architecture and design leadership
- Demonstrated success in distributed systems, especially REST based services
- Strong API design, development, and management
- Experience with NoSQL (i.e. Cassandra) and RDBMS (MySQL, MariaDB, SQL Server), Hadoop, Spark, Hive
- Strong knowledge of security standards, practices, and architecture
- Experience with functional, regression, performance and stress testing
- Experience with enhancing automated tests in CI/CD pipelines
- Knowledge of container technologies like Docker
What started small, with a single discount store and the simple idea of selling more for less, has grown over the last 50 years into the largest retailer in the world. Each week, over 260 million customers and members visit our 11,695 stores under 59 banners in 28 countries and e-commerce websites in 11 countries. With fiscal year 2017 revenue of $485.9 billion, Walmart employs approximately 2.3 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. It's all part of our unwavering commitment to creating opportunities and bringing value to customers and communities around the world.